Sunday, 1 and Wednesday, 4 October, 1944 - a sea letter

Grimethorpe

1-10-44

My Very Precious Darling,

As it is Sunday evening and I have not got an air-letter left and as it is such a long time since I wrote you a sea letter and as I think that the first of the month deserves a letter as it means one month nearer our re-union – well, I thought that I would write this tonight.

Mother and Dad are out at some sort of Variety show at Moorthorpe, leaving Vera and I alone.  I am sitting in the old armchair in Vera’s bedroom as I write this and a beautiful fire is burning in the grate.

I have just been saying to Vera “If only Stan were sitting in this chair – “ and then my thoughts went back to nearly two years ago and the times you sat in this same chair and the times you made toast by this fire and the times we kissed in this same bedroom and oh, Darling, lots and lots of other thoughts of the little simple things we did together.  How precious those memories are to me now my Darling but when I think about them how my heart and arms ache to have you back close to me again.

You mean all the world to me, Dearest and there is nothing I would not do to have you back again.

4-10-44  9 p/m

My Darling, as my Aunt plus baby arrived I was unable to finish this on Sunday evening.

At the moment I am sitting in the lounge waiting for the announcement that our expected patients have arrived and that I have to go back on duty.  However, if everything goes according to plan I should be in bed by mid-night.

I received an air letter from you yesterday but will write an air letter in reply tomorrow.

Yesterday and today have not been very good days.  For one thing the weather could not make up its mind just what it wanted to do.

I went out shopping yesterday morning – the sun was shining brilliantly but I had not been out long before I was caught in a long downpour of rain.  Also, Sister’s temper has not been too good.  She is rather fond of plenty of off duty and a good time and as we have been busy since I came back she cannot have either.

This morning too, she was in a filthy mood when she came on duty – for reasons which I cannot explain here.  However, after she had vented her rage on everybody  and when she realised that she wanted me to do extra duty she calmed down somewhat and once again for a few more days, everything in the garden is lovely.

Well, my Precious, I am sure that you will not find this letter very interesting but perhaps if I tell you that I love you my Darling, with all my heart, it might make up for the lack of news.

Ever your own.  Grace xxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters

Air Letters, Sea Letters, Air Mail forms and 'Airgraphs'

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters