Sunday, 8 October, 1944 - Two Letters

2364226                                                                  
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

8 Oct. 44.                                                                                        216.

My Own Most Precious Darling,

The Army Post Office has dropped at least 200 per cent in my estimation during the last few days.  Do you know how long it is since they brought me a letter from you?  Five whole days, which to anyone who is as much in love with anyone else as I am with you is as good as a whole lifetime.

I always feel so lonely when I don’t hear from you Darling.  Those delightful letters you send to me help to bridge the vast distance which separates us at the moment and as long as they keep turning up, I don’t feel so lonely.  However, better luck to-morrow!

I only hope that you haven’t really lost your temper with the Ministry of Labour & been locked up under Regulation 18B as a “bolshie”!!

I decided last night I’d go to bed early & read & as usual when I decide to do something like that, the lights failed and so I had to go out & find somewhere where the lights were on.  My pal and I finished up in a neighbouring Sgts’ mess, playing cards.  My luck was “in” & it proved quite a profitable evening for me.

I don’t quite know what happened to me tonight but we suddenly decided that we would go to church, and quite enjoyed the service.  It’s exactly three years since I last went to church.  Terrible, isn’t it?

We went from there to the NAAFI where the local members of the Army Educational Corps give a weekly war review and after hearing that we felt quite satisfied that the Germans can’t last much longer, so we’ve come back to billets to sleep the sleep of  the peaceful which is more than the Germans can do with 5,000 Allied planes buzzing overhead!  The latest Yankee break through the Seigfreid Line looks very promising.  Hope it materialises.

I’ve been very busy moving my office from my school to a couple of flats in town, but we’ve just about got things straight again.  There’s one thing I should be quite a useful husband if ever we have to “flit”!

Well, my precious Darling, there’s just enough room left to tell you once more how much I love you and what a lot you mean to me.  Always you own,  Stan xxxxxxxxx

 

G.H.N

8-10-44                                                                                         190

My Own Darling,

To-day is Sunday and my half-day.  I know that you usually write to me on Sunday and as I write this I wonder if you are writing to me at the same time.  I often wonder what you are doing at odd moments of the day and wonder if you are thinking of me at the same time as I am thinking of you.

Another air letter arrived from you yesterday.  I do not know where it had been hiding but it was dated three days earlier that the one which I received the previous day.

In it you said that you had posted a sea letter and some views of Rome to me.  I do hope that the letter is not long on its travels.

Impatient person, am I not?  You also mentioned about that friend of yours, fighting in Holland.  I do hope that he is all right.

Yes Darling, we have a lot to be thankful for – I quite realise that but as you say, it would be nice if we could see each other for a short while occasionally.  However, I suppose that we ought to count our blessings.

It is a miserable day – very dull and drizzling with rain.  It has not cleared up all day.  I think that we are in for a good storm before the weather finally clears.

I am going out to see Connie when I have finished your letter.  It is quite pleasant to go out there to a nice fire and a nice tea and nothing much to do if I do not wish to do it.

It will be thrilling when we can spend our Sundays together in our own home, won’t it?  When, in Winter, and it is raining or snowing outside and we can draw up our chairs before a blazing fire and read or maybe I will have to darn your socks!!

Remember the last time I darned them?  I should think that you wore those socks out long ago.

Well, Precious, I will have to stop rambling and tell you that I love you – with all my heart.

Always your very own, Grace  xxxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Air Letters, Sea Letters, Air Mail forms and 'Airgraphs'

Sunday, 24 September, 1944, a 'sea letter'