Tuesday, 10 and Wednesday, 11 October, 1944

G.H.N.

10.10.44                                                                   191

My Most Precious Darling,

I hoped that there might be a letter from you to-day but no – I was doomed to disappointment.  There will probably be a letter from you tomorrow though.

I don’t think I mentioned in my last letter that I went to see “For Whom the Bell Tolls.”  It was a really good film.  The acting was superb.  I have not read the book so I cannot compare the picture with it but I thought that it was well worth seeing.

Kit and I go for our interview at Kendray Hospital on Friday.  Will let you know the result afterwards.

Am writing this letter sitting at the front of a lovely fire.  Yes, we have actually been granted the luxury of a fire to-day.  It does help to make life a little more bearable.

It is my evening off to-night – thank goodness.  It means that I can retire to my bed fairly early and as I shall be called again at about one-o’clock I shall need to.  Yes, more patients are expected.

11.10.44

As about half a dozen more nurses came into the lounge last night and turned the wireless on and would drag me into their conversation I did not get this finished.

A letter arrived from you this morning Darling.  It was written on the 3rd.

Sorry to hear that you are having such dreadful weather but it is not much better over here, though I must admit we have not had as much rain as you seem to have had.

Ivy and I went out for coffee this morning.  We went to the Granary.  Whenever I go there I think of the time we went there for tea.  Remember, Darling?

There was quite a stir on the ward this afternoon.  The “black out” shades were removed from the lights and the pre-war china shades put on.  It has made the ward look so different.  It makes me think that the end of the war is really getting near.

I had better leave enough space to end my letter with all my love.  I love you so very dearly – you mean everything to me Darling.  Now and for ever, Grace  xxxxxxxx

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Air Letters, Sea Letters, Air Mail forms and 'Airgraphs'

Sunday, 24 September, 1944, a 'sea letter'