Tuesday, 3 October, 1944

2364226                                                                  
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

3 Oct. 44.                                                                            214.

Hello, My Darling

I think it’s a good job I got back from Rome when I did.  Had I left it a week later I should probably have had to swim back!  As you’ll probably heard on the wireless we have been getting just a little bit more than our fair share of rain during the past few days.  Today the sun shone for the first time for about five days.

Yes, Darling, I sympathise with you in your dealings with the Ministry of Labour.  I must admit that I had a good chuckle at the thought of you telling them where to get off!  Still, why worry, Grimsby’s smell of fish might have upset you!

So you’ve just found have you that this British “freedom” is just a fallacy after all?  I found it out a very long time ago.  I mean to say, if I’d have been free I should have been in England happily married to you and you would have been worried about working in hospitals.

I am glad to hear that you’ve been having it slack on the ward for a bit.  I should imagine that you were ready for the rest.

I went out to go to the pictures last night, but passing the theatre two hours before the show was due to start, I found quite a sizeable queue & so of course I gave up the idea.  I can’t imagine how anyone has the patience to queue for two hours to see a film, have you?

Yes, Mother and Dad have had rather a tottering time in the last months haven’t they.  Its bound to have left its mark on them, I suppose.  My Dad could do with a long holiday as you say.

An orchestra on the wireless at the moment is playing the tune “I’ll get by as long as I’ve got you”.  It rather reflects my mood at the moment, Darling.  I’ve had rather a busy day and am feeling just a wee bit depressed and that’s just the time when you (or thoughts of you) come to the rescue.

I can always find the power to carry on Dearest when I remember that back in England you are waiting very patiently for my return.  I think what’s really the matter is with the war having slowed down, there’s rather an anti-climax to all the talk about demobilisation etc, as we begin to realize that there’s still quite a good way to go before we reach that goal.

However long it is, however my beloved, it will seem like years & years to me, so eager to get back to you and happiness.

I shall always love you   Stan xxxxxxxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters

Air Letters, Sea Letters, Air Mail forms and 'Airgraphs'

Thursday, 6 January, 1943