Tuesday, 22 August, 1944
G.H.N. 168
22-8-44
My Very Own Darling,
Yesterday I went for my interview with the Ministry of Labour or at least with the representative of same.
I was asked which field of Nursing I wished to enter so told her none, that I preferred general nursing. I was also told that no Nurse that took her “Finals” last September was being deferred and that we all had to leave our training hospitals and take up another branch of nursing.
However, in the end the interviewer told me that I could chose one of two posts which required a S.R.N.
Both posts were for emergency hospitals taking patients from another part of England and from what I gathered the remainder of the Nursing Staff consisted of Assistant Nurses. One post was outside Peterborough and one at Belper in Derbyshire. I chose the one at Belper.
Apart from that I know nothing about the post. Whether there will be other applicants for it or not – I do not know, so I am now awaiting further developments.
I chose the one at Belper as I thought that it would be nearer home, though I am not looking forward to a Winter stuck in the heart of Derbyshire. Having spent two Winters on the borders of Derbyshire I know what to expect.
I decided not to join the Forces Darling as I should not like to be stuck in some remote corner of the Empire should you come home.
That is enough about myself. An air-letter arrived from you yesterday. I am so glad that you are receiving my letters quicker these days. A recent letter from the one that you love does help to make things more bearable, does it not?
Sorry to hear that the weather has changed out there. It is not too good here either. One can hardly realise that last week at this time it was blazing hot and now it is very cold, almost as cold as if we were in the middle of Winter.
I think that there is just enough space left to tell you that I love you Darling, with all my heart.
Au revoir. Ever
your own, Grace xxxxx
#lovestoryworldwar2 #1940slovestory #wartimelovestory #loveletters #1940snursinghistory #nursinghistory #1940snurse #nursing1940s
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.