Thursday, 5 October, 1944

G.H.N.

5.10.4                                                             188.

My Own Darling,

I posted a sea-letter to you this morning but thought that I would write you this air-letter as sea letters take such an age to reach you.

I hoped that there would be a letter from you this morning but there was not.  You know Dear, I am quite greedy where letters from you are concerned.  The more I get and the more I want!

Yes, I do remember going into the Elephant in Doncaster with you and your Mother.  You said that you did not think that there was any harm in going into a place like that but that I would argue about that statement. 

Well – no I do not.   Does that surprise you?  I have changed my views a little recently – and, provided the lady is escorted and knows just how much to drink and still remain a “lady” I agree with you – there is no harm in it.

For myself – I would not care to make a regular habit of it.

I am pleased that the Army Authorities have decided to let you all wear collars and ties.  I think that they do look better.

Whatever you wear though Darling – I shall love you just the same.

It is my half-day to-day so when I have finished your letter Dear I shall take a bath, do some ironing – which has been hanging around for ages but I just have not had time to do and then retire to bed early.  You see, I did not get off duty until turned mid-night and we have had a hectic morning so consequently feel just a little tired.

The etching* which I told you about is nearly finished and I think that it will do to decorate one of our walls.  Did I mention that one of my patients is working one for me?  It is one of Windsor Castle – so we shall have the pair.  You see I even get my male patients to help me with my bottom drawer!

The end of the page Darling so au-revoir.  You have all my love – now and for ever. 

Your future wife – Grace xxxxxx

* The 'etching' is an embroidery of an etching of Nottingham Castle.  See 21 & 22 September for a photo.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters

Wednesday, 6 September, 1944 - Two Letters